Friday, February 27, 2015

Conformity and The Asch Experiment

In class we are discussing conformity of an individual in groups. We were asked to put our answers to the following three questions into our blogs, writing in complete sentences and well-organized paragraphs. We are asked to not forget to give my readers context and I hope that I gave plenty. After asking a partner to proofread it, below the questions is my final version:
Question 1: Based on this sentence, write down your own definition of “conformity” or “conform.”
"A lot of girls in school – including Johanna's best friend, Sarah – were dying their hair orange, but Johanna refused to conform, stating that she preferred her natural color."
Question 2: How do you think conformity and obedience are similar? How do you think they are different?
Question 3:
(a) What does the Asch Experiment demonstrate? Explain.
(b) Given what you’ve learned, do you think you're more of a conformist or an individual? How has this benefited you and/or worked against you in the past?
(c) Is conformity good or bad? Consider these situations: driving laws, Nazism, the Holocaust, body image, religion, and clothing styles.
(d) Can you think of other instances where people might conform?

Answer 1: Conformity means to follow the group and their interests.

Answer 2: I think conformity and obedience are similar in that either way you are doing something you may or may not want to do or doing what others want, expect, or suggest you to do.

Answer 3:
(a) The Asch Experiment demonstrates that when in a group, an individual will conform to the group's interests. It demonstrates that even if in the beginning the individual does not conform, they may conform at least once to the group's interests or actions, whether they believe in it or not.
(b) Given what I've learned, I think I'm more of of an individual now. This has worked against me in the past in that people always saw me as an outcast when I started becoming an individual. They thought I was "weird" and "different." It didn't really bother me because in the end, if they don't like you then who cares what they think? My parents find me disrespectful at times when I'm being myself but those are things I can get past.
(c) I personally don't think conformity is good or bad. I think it may be appropriate in some situations but not in all. Following the laws for example may be an appropriate situation to conform or in traffic. But if people are rising against a cause that you may believe is wrong or inhumane, that could be an appropriate time to be a non-conformist.
(d) Some instances where people might conform is in work, in school, in religious places, with family, in society, with friends, with business associates, or with marriage.

1 comment:

  1. You mention how conformity and obedience are alike but how are they different? This post shows a lot of thought and effort. (You gave PLENTY of context!)
    Score: 4-4-4-4

    ReplyDelete